Yesterday started and ended with awesome MAC experiences! When I woke up, I discovered I won DebE’s 100 Followers Thank You MAC giveaway! (I will do a post about that when my goodies arrive.) I had been wanting to go to the MAC store for about 3 weeks since I learned Sicilianna Beauty’s tip about adding a layer of MAC translucent powder between coats of lipstick. Winning DebE’s giveaway spurred me on to finally get to the mall last night despite an awful thunder storm and fatigue from a long day at work.
I felt like a kid in a candy store surrounded by all those yummy-smelling MAC lipsticks! But what made my experience was the cheerful and knowledgeable makeup consultant Heidi. When I asked about translucent powder to make lipstick last longer, she demoed an awesome tip she learned from one of the head guys at MAC.
MAC lipstick steps:
- Line lips with lip pencil.
- Apply lipstick.
- Separate a two-ply facial tissue into two pieces.
- Dip powder brush into sheer loose powder. Lightly tap brush against side of powder container in order to remove excess powder from brush.
- Gently press one piece of tissue against your lips, then gently press powder brush against tissue.
- Apply another layer of lipstick.
Heidi noted that lipstick is buildable with this technique. Steps 5 and 6 can be repeated if you like. She said that starting with lip primer would be even better in terms of making lipstick last longer.
Heidi patiently helped me with different lustre-finish lipsticks I wanted to try on. To my surprise, she then suggested I try on a reddish-brown lipstick. Red?! I’ve been wearing more subdued lipsticks for the past few years, so I didn’t really expect to like it, but I gave it a try because she said red is the hot colour for this fall, particularly blue reds and Bordeaux. I was surprised to discover that I liked it! Please excuse the practically bare face and crazy hair in this pic. Note to self: Don’t go shopping for beauty products when you look haggard because your outing may end up on your blog!
I ended up buying three products demoed on me (see pics above):
- Lipstick: Spice It Up! (Lustre) (Colour: Mulled brown berry) $18
- Lip pencil: Burgundy (Colour: Brownish-burgundy) $18
- Powder: NC5 (Select Sheer/Loose) $30
Thanks DebE and Heidi for a great MAC day yesterday! 🙂